Monday, September 3, 2007

MEXICO MEETS KOREA

Right, Uni has officially started. It was very exciting. For the first 20 minutes. Now I'm bored and waiting for the next holiday. Oh and everyone here gets a Reading Week! Except I'm gonna call it Travel Week :)

My course (business) is very international. Through my Korean friend Ted, I met a couple of other Koreans who are fulltime students on our course. We all went for luch together to Soho. It was so cool, we took a taxi there and back (as I said earlier, taxis are such a bargain here) and had Mexican food. A slightly different experience from the typical 'crappy-sandwich-and-a-bottle-of-coke' kinda luch that I'm used to in Birmingham. It's crazy that with the same money I spend in England I can live very very very nicely here...

I recently found out that the area where we live is very up-and-coming, it's close to city centre and an MTR station is planned to be opened here in 2012. Hence the house prices and rent are constantly increasing. And we pay absolutely nothing to stay here. Pretty cool! :)

The weekend was a lot of fun! Went for dinner and some drinks with other exchange ppl on friday. The international office had arranged two tours on sat & sun: one on Hong Kong island and another one in Kowloon and New territories. The latter one was actually quite rubbish and I didn't really see much, but it was a good chance to meet new people though.

I have taken dozens of photos already, will put them up soon! At the moment, if anyone's interested to have a closer look at what Hong Kong looks like, I found these links for some amazing pics:

http://www.pbase.com/accl/hongkongdowntown

http://www.pbase.com/accl/hong_kong

I have to admit these links is my cunning plan to get more people to visit me here :P

I have finally decided to continue with Mandarin instead of starting Cantonese... After having spoken to a lot of locals, it seems to be the best option. It is more widely spoken, and also becoming more widely used in Hong Kong as well. So if I was to come here for work some time later, Mandarin would be more desired than Cantonese. Not that I'm planning ahead or anything... ;)

No comments:

About Me

I'm a Finnish girl currently on an exchange year in University of Hong Kong.