Wednesday, September 12, 2007

BUSY BUSY BUSY!

Heh I'm feeling some pressure now; a lot of people have complained that I'm not updating my blog often enough! That means that people are actually reading it which is great :)

Rite, a lot has happened again. The Unit-O that I explained about earlier has been crazy but fun so far! On friday we had a Beach Party in Deepwater Bay. It was a lot of fun! We barbequed and played silly games like Dodgeball (polttpallo in finnish) and they were like 'wowww amazing' when I told them I'd played before (well not in like 10 yrs but still!). Seems that some things really are global :) Yesterday we played basketball against another Unit. I got to play and was actually pretty good - I think the boys in my unit have newly found respect for me! Tonight we're gonna cook together and I'll be in charge of making pancakes (at home I am officially known as the pancake meister so this task is indeed perfect for me).


All in all, it has been another hectic week - everyone stays up late and sleeps late as well so I'm often not up until like 10, the in Uni til about 5, perhaps try to do some work, go for dinner with friends, then Hall activities for the rest of the evening... so haven't slept much in the last week but thanks to the (cheap) Starbucks on campus, I've managed make it through my lectures ok! :)
Luckily the weekend was quite chilled. On saturday I pretty much just slept, did my laundry & tidied my (half of the) room and fun things like that :P On Sunday I went up to Victoria Peak (highest point of Hong Kong) with some other exchange students. The view from there is great, even though apparently it's even better when it's dark so I'll have to go again some evening. There's even a Madame Tussaud's wax museum up there which I have to say was a lot more fun than the one in London! You can dress up and do silly things, so obviously a lot of embarrassing / funny photos were taken :D

I have met a few Finnish people here which is nice; not that I ever purposefully aim to hang out just with Finnish people but it's nice to speak Finnish occasionally. Also a random thing happened: there's a professor in HKU who has studied Finnish and translates Finnish literature to Chinese! Anyway, he's been trying to find Finnish people and hence started randomly talking to me in the library. He told me about FBC (Finnish Business Counsil) which is basically a network of Finnish people living in Hong Kong. They are arranging a Cray Fish Party (rapujuhlat) which basically means eating a little crayfish, some bread and drinking a lot of shots. It'll happen later this month and apparently everyone is welcome so me and the other Finnish kids are probably gonna go. It's an old Finnish tradition - not very common everywhere but quite popular in the coast where I'm from . I haven't been to a crayfish party since moving to England, and couple of the other Finnish exchange students have never been so it should be a lot of fun!


I'm starting my tutoring job today, exciting times!

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Wicked coincidence on the Finnish stuff! Though I have to wonder how much call there is for Finnish/Chinese translations...!

Rosie xxx

About Me

I'm a Finnish girl currently on an exchange year in University of Hong Kong.